The identification system provides uniform international identification of containers, in documentation and in communication associated with the movement of containers from door to door. It consists of:
- an owner code: three capital letters of the Latin alphabet to indicate the owner or principal operator of the container,
- an equipment category identifier which consists of one capital letter of the Latin alphabet as follows:
- U for all freight containers,
- J for detachable freight container-related equipment,
- Z for trailers and chassis,
- a serial number: six Arabic numerals, left at owner‘s or operator‘s option,
- a check digit: one Arabic numeral providing a means of validating the recording and transmission accuracies of the owner code and serial number.