- The identification of the owner or principal operator;
- The identification of the unit by its owner or operator as a reference number for its database (dimensions, type, year of putting into operation, date of control, of maintenance, etc..).
- The international circulation and temporary admission for customs purpose;
- The control of containers, manually or automatically by computerised and/or remote control systems at any stage of the transportation chain and especially in intermodal transport.
Used & published worldwide
- A paper copy of the BIC-CODE Register is published yearly
- The latest list of BIC codes is always available on BIC’s website
- The eBIC service provides the register in electronic format to members as well as terminals, Customs authorities, and other international organizations
- Available via API